Monday, January 30, 2012

A meeting with the Rabbi

This morning, Steve and I met with the Rabbi to talk about the wedding. He is so welcoming and wonderful! Basically we can have a completely traditional Jewish wedding, or we can just incorporate some traditional elements. We can even start the ceremony with a short Havdalah service! For all you goyim, Havdalah is the closing service to Shabbat, you light a special braided candle and say some beautiful blessings. Of course, since it is a Jewish wedding, it will be taking place on Saturday evening, after sundown (or close to...come on, we're Reform Jews). I had originally figured on having an afternoon wedding, because it would be easier for the boys. But I will admit that secretly I did want an evening wedding, because that way there's more of a party afterwards! YAY PARTY!

We also have an assignment to read some books about Jewish weddings and about having a good marriage.

No, we don't have a date set yet. We are to email the Rabbi with some possible dates, and we'll go from there. The only bad thing is that this year, they are beginning construction to update and add on to the temple. So the sanctuary will be torn up, no matter when we want our wedding to be (it will take a year or more to complete the project). They will still be doing services and Bar and Bat Mitzvahs during construction, so why not a wedding? I don't really care how the bimah looks. As long as we end up married by the end of the night, then we had a successful wedding.

And the planning begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment