Friday, May 14, 2010

One Year Twins Anniversary


Today is is one year to the day that we found out we were having twins. We were in that ultrasound rule, Steve next to me, when the picture popped up on the screen. Steve quietly said "there's two...." as the my doc said "looks like there is a surprise...it's twins!". I couldn't believe it, yet at the same time I knew all along. With my other (lost) pregnancies, the thought never occurred to me that there might be multiples. But with this one, I don't know, it's hard to explain but I just had this feeling, the idea of twins just crept into my mind. Plus, I was SO sick. Constant vomiting, like every hour, not just in the morning, much more so than my previous pregnancies. I remember clutching my ultrasound picture and going back out to the desk at my OB's office to schedule my next appointment, and as the desk clerk began to speak, I just blurted out "there's two of them in there!!!!" while shoving the picture in her face. She and all the other secretaries squealed with delight and said "awwwwwwwwwww twins!". Little did I know what I was in for.

At 8 weeks along, I started wearing maternity pants. At 13-ish weeks, I needed maternity tops. Around 16-17 weeks, I felt the first flutters of fetal movement. I reveled in the pure joy of feeling my babies come to life inside me. 17 weeks - a boy. 20 weeks - another boy! I knew I was healthy and young, and everything was going fantastically in my pregnancy. Then, at 24 weeks and 5 days, we had the next ultrasound that changed our lives. My body's protective mechanisms were failing...the babies were in danger of being born. Rush to the hospital, get admitted to the high risk OB unit. My doc comes and tells me that if I deliver, the boys might not make it. I get released, to lay on my left side constantly. A couple weeks later, my blood pressure shoots up. 29 weeks 6 days - contractions begin. Back to the hospital. 4cm dilated. Magnesium Sulfate. 6cm dilated. Unstoppable contractions. 30 weeks 3 days, October 19, 2009 - delivery day. Isaac cries, Gabe is blue. Incredible post-op pain. Then comes watching the babies fight to thrive and grow for weeks. Pumping. Constant pumping. November 30th - Isaac comes home. December 19th - Gabe comes home. Life begins again.

I can't believe it's been a year. In some ways, it seems like it's always been this way, I've always been a mother. In other ways, it seems like my positive pregnancy test was just yesterday.

As to how the boys are doing now, beautifully is the best word I think. They both see and reach for toys that are farther away. They both are alert most of the time, with short naps throughout the day. We're getting into a routine. Isaac recently discovered his feet - which is what the picture is. They're eating solid food, mostly cereal, but with a fruit or a veggie every few days. They're not really sold on sweet potatoes, but they seem to enjoy pears.

As to me, my new job is awesome but exhausting. I'm on my feet all day, completely the opposite of my old job. My preceptor was wearing a pedometer today, and it counted 16,000 steps, roughly 6.5 miles. From just walking the floor, fetching things for people, taking vital signs. Then, after work, I have to come home and work more by taking care of the Beans. They are exhausting these days. But my job is actually helping me feel very connected to them, I don't know if it's just seeing all the mothers and their babies or what.

So it's been a crazy year, but it's been absolutely the most amazing year of my life.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how much has changed in that time?! I remember what an adjustment it was with my first, and he was only one! Cute pic :-) My Gabriel found his feet a couple days ago but the only time I see him playing with them is when I'm changing his diaper LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you posted on myspace that you were having twins because that exact day was when I was going to post that I was pregnant. Who would have thought we would be having little ones around the same time. PS. Lily isn't so sure about sweet potato either, but loves rice cereal. I think I am going to try a fruit this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Its amazing all that has changed in a year! I am glad to hear the job is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hadn't seen you around the pg boards for a while so I came to check out your blog. Congrats on making it through the most intense year of your life and on bringing Isaac and Gabriel through it all so beautifully. I'll never forget the moment we saw two tiny babies on the u/s screen, either, and how vulnerable they seemed and how I loved them instantly with all my heart! It's a blessing that both our stories ended well.

    ReplyDelete