Friday, June 25, 2010

I am upset by the infrequency with which I update this blog. I have time, I do, when I pump, I can grab the computer and type out a little something, but ah, sheer laziness prevails. You know what else I am upset by? How uneducated I sound. That sounds pretentious, I know, but really, I used to write much more eloquently than I do now, and you could see all my years of hard schoolwork and essay writing in my words. I think its been a combination of my previously mind-numbing job, my lack of reading any literature recently, and my cramming of all the pregnancy/baby/prematurity information into my brain that has caused me to go 'stupider'. I fully subscribe to the idea that when an adult shoves some new information into their brain, something else falls out. For me, that something has been grammar and my aforementioned eloquence, my vocabulary, and also most of American history. Sorry Mr. Liebesman and 11th grade AP class.

I digress.

This will sound ungrateful, but recently I have realized how much of my being is completely consumed by caring for these beautiful babies. I really don't mean that in a bad sense. I just mean that I am so very different than I used to be. Sure, I still get upset and overreact to some little things, but for the most part, I am so much more mellow than I used to be. And my God am I a caretaker and a nurturer. It's all I do. Literally. I wonder do all new moms feel this way? Like you've lost yourself in a sense, just because of the sheer enormity of the task of taking care of a new baby - or two? I don't blame the babies, I don't blame anyone. I'm just kind of musing on how I feel. Every fiber of my being is centered around my children, and I don't really think that's a bad thing. I am growing and stretching in new directions, I just haven't fully realized them all yet. There is a need to find and grasp onto a little shred of 'me', though.

That said, I have noticed that my old foe Codependency is back. It creeped into my life silently and slowly as I reacted to the crisis of the babies' prematurity. Now I'm back to the feeling of being lost in everyone else and everything else, low self worth, and the pattern of overeating and over-exerting myself. Eh. I need to come back to myself and become centered again.

Thank you, readers, for coming with me on this rant/journey. I started this blog to post updates about the babies, but it really has allowed me a certain freedom to express myself, and I appreciate you being beside me.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly felt the same way after having my first! He was only one but VERY high needs! Right about the time he started getting a bit independent, we decided to try for #2 and it happened soon after. Gabriel is more mellow than Ethan but now I have two to take care of. And it can be draining!

    I could have written the paragraph about losing grammar, vocab, etc! I copy edited for our college newspaper the year we won national awards! I graduated with a minor in English! And read my blog... You can't tell a bit :-P DH asked me to edit an article he was writing for work recently and it felt SO GOOD to actually put that part of my brain to use!

    Could daddy take care of the boys once or twice a month for you to take a few hours for yourself out of the house? I'm part of a mom's night out group here. We meet once a month for dinner and coffee and a break ;-) And DH tries to get me one other time during the month just to get out by myself. Last time I went to a bookstore, had a bagel in the cafe, and browsed the cookbooks :-) It was really refreshing!

    ReplyDelete