Monday, March 15, 2010

Wants vs. Needs

I've realized that the best way to describe raising twins is to discuss wants vs. needs. With one baby, of course the baby's needs come first, but there is time left over for some of the 'wants'. Of course, my only experience with a singleton is the three weeks we had Isaac home before Gabe was discharged. But between feedings and diaper changes, there was extra time...time for things like reading a book to him, playing, maybe even wearing him and getting a few things that I want to do done! But with twins, it's a constant game of needs. Someone always needs to be fed. Or changed. Or burped. Or cleaned up because they drooled/puked everywhere. Or soothed because they are upset. Or rocked to sleep because they are fighting it. There is never any time for the 'wants'. I no longer have time to kangaroo them or to read them stories. It's sad, really, but our days are simply about survival. Maybe when they are older and can go longer between feedings, then we can get more of the fun stuff in. It's just so hard going on 5 months now of constant needs (and no sleep for mommy!). I just have to keep remembering 'someday, this will change, things will get better'.

No comments:

Post a Comment